Project Portfolio Management Software Development- Benefits, Features, and Process
You would agree that you require a central platform to manage every aspect of projects in this dynamic business climate. You need visibility, oversight, and different tools to help prioritize and manage all your current projects and their relevant resources. This requirement can be fulfilled once you decide to invest in project portfolio management software development. It will help streamline all your internal processes that are significant for any project.
Through this blog, you will learn about different aspects of this software solution, and it will help clarify its development decision.
- You can streamline all the processes for managing any project’s portfolio by custom-building the PPM software. The urge to handle every step of the project efficiently is increasing the adoption rate of this software.
- From improving your resource management to strategically aligning your projects, various reasons can help you decide to invest in project portfolio management software development.
- Multiple basic and advanced features come together to form the best PPM software, such as resource allocation, system administration, what-if analysis, ROI analysis, and others.
- To effectively develop the PPM software for your business growth, you can always choose to begin with the basic yet vital steps, such as researching and then defining your requirement, hiring the best software development company, selecting the right tech stack, and others.
Table of Contents
What is Project Portfolio Management Software?
PPM software or project portfolio management software is a solution that can help your business to manage and oversee your project’s portfolios effectively. It can offer a centralized platform for planning, prioritizing, executing, and tracking multiple projects simultaneously. By developing PPM software, you will be able to align your projects with the strategic goals, optimize resource allocation, manage any risks involved, and monitor the project’s performance.
Why Should You Invest in Project Portfolio Management Software Development?
The above-mentioned stats give an idea about how every industry globally is adopting PPM software. You can also leverage the services from a professional custom software development company and invest in the same. Here we have presented you with some major reasons that can give you the required push to consider these investments for your business growth:
Enhanced Project Selection and Prioritization
The first reason to invest in project portfolio management software is that it helps in enhancing your project selection and prioritization process. By leveraging this custom-built software solution, you will be provided with a systematic approach to handling your project selections. It enables you to compare and then evaluate multiple projects based on various metrics such as resources requirement, strategic alignment, expected returns, potential risks, and others. In the end, by using the PPM software, you will be able to make a data-driven decision to select the right project and prioritize them.
Improved Resource Management
Resources are one of the most important components that are required within any project. When you have multiple projects to handle, allocating the relevant resources can take time and effort. It is where your decision to invest in project portfolio management software development can be fruitful. With PPM software, you will gain visibility for your resource availability, skills, and capacity. You will be able to allocate the relevant resources to the right project within the required time with the help of this software.
Strategic Alignment and Decision-Making
Another reason to invest in enterprise project portfolio management software development is that it helps to align your project portfolio with your strategic objectives. By leveraging this customized software, you will gain a framework that allows the evolution of the project’s proposals, assessing their impact on your business outcomes and helping make informed decisions. With the help of PPM software, you can ensure that your project portfolios are aligned in the strategic direction that supports your overall business growth.
Risk Mitigation and Issue Management
Investing in portfolio project management software can offer you different vital features to identify, assess and mitigate the risks and issues related to your project. It will help you in managing these potential risks by tracking them, monitoring their progress, and implementing mitigation strategies. By addressing risks and issues in a timely manner, you can minimize their impact on project outcomes and ensure smooth project execution.
Project Portfolio Management Software Development- Features
Now that you already have clarity about why you must consider investing in project portfolio management software development, it’s time to explore one of the significant aspects. Features will play a vital role in shaping your software solution. Here we have decided to offer you some more clarity about the features by mentioning them.
Here initially, we have provided you with the table showcasing some of the common yet essential features within the enterprise solutions you develop for managing your project’s portfolios.
|For Users||For Admin|
|Project Dashboard||User and Access Management|
|Project Creation and Management||Customization and Configuration|
|Resource Allocation||System Administration|
|Document Management||Security and Permissions|
|Reporting and Analytics||Portfolio Management|
Furthermore, you need to make your enterprise project portfolio management software unique, and then you must consider adding these advanced features to it. They are:
To begin with, you can consider including the feature called what-if analysis. It will allow you to simulate the different scenarios and evaluate their potential impact on your projects and portfolios. It can help you in making informed decisions by assessing the outcomes of various alternative scenarios. You will be able to explore different resource allocations, budget adjustments, and timeline changes to identify the best course of action and optimize your project portfolios accordingly.
Agile and Iterative Project Management
The next feature that will enhance your custom project portfolio management software is the incorporation of agile and iterative project management. It will empower you to embrace flexible and collaborative approaches. With the agile methodologies, you will be provided with incremental development, adaptive planning, enhanced customer satisfaction, frequent iterations, and others.
Financial Management and ROI Analysis
Another feature is financial management and ROI analysis, and it plays a crucial role in enhancing your PPM software. With the help of this feature, you will be able to measure the project’s profitability and assess the return on investment. It will help you to track your project budgets, expenses, and revenue. It facilitates cost-benefit analysis, helps in determining project financial performance, and provides insights into the overall ROI of projects or the entire portfolio.
Advanced Risk Management
When investing in project portfolio management software development, never forget to include the feature of advanced risk management. It is one of the crucial features leading to your project’s success. With this feature, your PPM software will offer you comprehensive risk identification, mitigation, and assessment. It will allow you to create risk profiles, track risk levels, assign risk owners, and implement risk response strategies.
Steps To Begin Project Portfolio Management Software Development
From the benefits of investing in project portfolio management software development to the advanced features that you must consider, we have delivered some of the crucial aspects for your project.
But now it’s time to scroll through the most awaited section, which talks about the development process of your custom software solution for project portfolio management. Here we have mentioned a few major steps that will give you the gist of an effective development process.
Research and Define Your Requirement
To begin your development process, you need to research the adoption of project portfolio management software. Now project portfolio management is not limited to any specific industry. Everyone has to manage their different project portfolios, from healthcare to real estate, from law to the entertainment industry.
So, it would help if you researched your business niche. It is one of the most important steps as it will give you a clear idea about what kind of portfolio project management software you need. For this, seek the answer to a few questions through your research work:
- Why do you need this software solution?
- Will this help you in elevating your business in the long run?
- What are your competitors investing in?
All these questions and many more will help you get a clear picture of your requirements, and you will be precise about your development needs. It would help if you also researched the latest trends and market segments relevant to this software.
The research can be tiring, so you can always consult experts in portfolio management software development, as they can guide you better and help you get clarity with your requirements.
Hire a Software Development Company
The second step suggests you hire software developers from a reputable development company. Your idea can be turned into reality, but it will require an expert vision, and for that, you can hire these software experts.
There are different advantages of hiring the development company for your project portfolio management software development, such as:
- Experts from a professional software development company will have experience in delivering similar solutions. They will have the better knowledge and required skills to offer you a smooth and successful development process.
- You would not need to set up an in-house development team, which can be a great pain. Setting up the in-house team would cost you more as you will need to hire the required experts, train them as per your work, have a complete development setup, invest in the latest technologies specifically required for this project, and so on. All these expenditures can be saved by just one wise decision.
You can trust Matellio as we are one of the reputable development companies ready to offer you the best development team to start your project.
Choose a Suitable Tech Stack
Now when you have the development team, it’s their duty to make sure that all the resources required to complete your development cycle are ready. One of the major components of this development process is the tech stack needed within, which can include:
- Frameworks: Angular, React, Vue.js
- User Interface (UI) Libraries: Bootstrap, Material-UI
- Programming Languages: Java, C#, Python
- Frameworks: Spring Boot (Java), .NET (C#), Django (Python)
- Web Servers: Apache Tomcat, Nginx
- Relational Database Management System (RDBMS): MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle
- NoSQL Database: MongoDB, Cassandra
APIs and Web Services
- RESTful APIs: Express.js, Spring MVC
- API Documentation: Swagger, Postman
Integration and Middleware
- Enterprise Service Bus (ESB): Apache Kafka, RabbitMQ
- Message Queueing: ActiveMQ, RabbitMQ
Security and Authentication
- Authentication and Authorization: OAuth, JSON Web Tokens (JWT)
- Encryption: SSL/TLS
- Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS): Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
- Platform as a Service (PaaS): Heroku, IBM Cloud
Development Tools and Project Management
- Integrated Development Environments (IDEs): IntelliJ IDEA, Eclipse, Visual Studio
- Version Control: Git, SVN
- Project Management Tools: Jira, Trello, Asana
Testing and Quality Assurance
- Unit Testing: JUnit, NUnit, pytest
- Automated Testing: Selenium, Cypress
- Continuous Integration and Deployment (CI/CD): Jenkins, Travis CI
Analytics and Reporting
- Data Visualization: Tableau, Power BI, D3.js
- Reporting Tools: JasperReports, BIRT
Develop, Test, And Deploy
Now that you have the best development team, the right tech stack, and other required resources for your project portfolio management software development, it’s time to begin. But before the process starts, make sure that you choose an agile methodology for development.
Agile methodology mitigates the risks associated with long development cycles. Delivering working increments of the app on a regular interval can help in identifying and addressing risks or usability issues within the app.
So, agile methodology promotes transparency and accountability within your development team. From how project portfolio management software works to its final work, every aspect of the development can be divided into sprints. You can easily give your feedback or check whether they are aligned with your goals or not through the sprints without disturbing the entire process.
After the development process is complete, remember to test it, as testing will ensure that your software solution has no bugs. You will be able to identify the challenges beforehand, and experts will fix them the same. And once the testing is done and you are satisfied, deploy it on the desired cloud server.
How Can Matellio Be Your Project Portfolio Management Software Development Partner?
After scrolling through the investment reasons, features, and development process, you will be sure about one that you need to partner with the most trustworthy development company. It is why we are here to save you from all that hassle.
Our team stays updated with the latest technologies and tools to ensure that your development process is completed using the most efficient technology. Undoubtedly, we are one of the best companies from where you can leverage digital transformation services to sustain your business growth.
Our experts have worked with different businesses catering to various industries, which has given them immense experience. They can now easily handle your project and deliver high-quality applications matching the current market standards. We make sure to follow robust security regulations to keep your data safe. With us by your side, you will not be worrying about your timeline or development cost.
If you need clarification about your project portfolio management software development, want to learn more about the development process, or consult our experts to explore more features, feel free to reach us by filling out this form.
Get the Conversation Started!
Get the Conversation Started!
- Android App Development (268)
- Artificial Intelligence (243)
- Blockchain (59)
- Cloud Computing (3)
- Cloud Services (19)
- Company Updates (8)
- Custom Healthcare Solutions (54)
- Digital Marketing (3)
- E-commerce Development (38)
- Enterprise Development (57)
- Enterprise Solutions (163)
- GIS Development (4)
- Guest Post (3)
- Internet of Things (111)
- iOS App Development (240)
- Mobile App Development (648)
- News (71)
- On-demand App Development (212)
- SaaS Development (5)
- Salesforce Development (15)
- Search Engine Optimization (24)
- Software Development (434)
- Staff Augmentation (24)
- Technology (340)
- UI/UX Design (24)
- Wearable App Development (3)
- Web App Development (103)
- WordPress Development (8)