How to Create an eLearning Website: A Complete Guide
Updated on Apr 28th, 2023
With an increasing demand for online information sources, there has been a considerable shift from the traditional classroom setting to online learning. Such eLearning platforms have enabled multiple benefits for students and faculties. Seamlessly designed and successfully adopted eLearning modules support interactive learning along with easier teacher-student and student-student communication. They also allow students to easily access modules with self-paced learning, assess their knowledge, and learn collaboratively.
Here are some statistics that demonstrate the popularity of digital learning platforms:
- There is an increase of 13% of organizations and educational institutions that adopt elearning annually.
- 77% of the USA organizations depend on electronic learning for professional development
- 63% of the US high school students and 45% of elementary students choose digital learning platforms.
Top eLearning Solutions on the Market
MindFlash is a corporate learning platform where people from organizations can come together to learn and grow mutually. Users across the company can create courses, manage trainees, add quizzes, and track their progress. Features of MindFlash include:
- Train new employees
- SHare material to promote products and services
- Customer care resources training
- Compliance training
- In-app audio and video recorder
- Upload study material in multiple formats
- Reward programs for students #2. Photomath
Photomath is the eLearning platform for high-school students, specifically for math. The app has over 100+ million downloads and provides them access to maths tips and tricks. They can even check their assignments or study for various exams free. Students can scan their textbook or handwritten notes to break them into simple, easy-to-understand steps to explain concepts. Photomath is famous for the following features:
- Scan textbook and handwritten maths problem
- In-built scientific calculator and interactive graphs
- Step-by-step explanations for every solution
- Multiple solving methods
- Offline access
- 30+ languages supported
If you want to seek educational services from top institutions such as McGill and MIT, edX is all you need. Students can register to the app to ace new and trending skills, regardless of where they are. The app is comprehensive and allows students to master fields like computer science, data science, engineering, business management, marketing, finance, accounting, math, design, and more. The features of edX include:
- Access online classes in the latest subjects
- Download online courses to watch at per convenience
- Test progress with quizzes and exams
- View course announcements and handouts
- Advanced course search options
One of the most popular eLearning solutions on iOS and Android, Coursera, is for students from kindergarten to professional level. The app offers over 2000+ paid and free courses developed by experts from top institutions like Stanford, Penn, Google, Autodesk, and 150+ others. Notable app features to choose from. Features that make Coursera popular include:
- Access 2,600+ courses in 11+ topics
- Stream video lectures from anywhere in the world
- Download video lectures for offline access
- Pick a course from where you left off
- Seamless communication with mentors and learners
- Post questions for tutors
- Multilingual courses with subtitles and interactive transcripts help you follow videos.
- Earn shareable Certificates
Top 10 Features to Include in an eLearning Website
1. Upload Course Content
Uploading course content via content management systems is one of the most vital features of an eLearning website. Some of the data that would add value while uploading courses typically include:
- Course title, category, and description. Course creators can also target learners by explaining the course’s target audience, what prerequisites are, and related aspects.
- Videos for various lessons with subtitles, slides, and text.
- Tests and exercises for automated checking.
If you target learners from multiple industries, you can consider a custom exercise builder for any subject.
2. Assist Users to Select Course
Once the courses have been published, they are required to be organized and listed. Ensure there is a provision for making detailed course listings to cover comprehensive course details before they click on them. Each description should include a complete course title, instructor details, price, type, and duration. You can have more features to make them descriptive, such as course rating and level of knowledge required.
- Ratings and reviews: Make sure to back your expertise with student reviews. Encourage users to provide detailed reviews by offering perks and discounts.
- Recommended courses: AI-based features help you figure out the best courses for the student’s taste. For this, you would need inputs such as specializations, goals, and courses completed in the past.
- Book course demo: Learners should be able to book a demo before enrolling in a course. This would not only build your credibility but also ensure that your end-users are satisfied.
3. Inbuilt Guide for Easy Usage
Help users to register in a few taps and enable an easier journey for them. With an easy guide, you can boost engagement and ensure that the users are loyal to your app.
Once they register, guide them on how to use the eLearning platform. You can try integrating some education videos to onboard learners and instructors. Alternatively, you can have tips and offers. The idea is to invest time in the feature and make it as informative as possible.
As a help, we have curated the functionalities you could add to your onboarding help guide:
- How to fill a profile?
- How to navigate between courses?
- How to choose the course?
- How to enroll in a course?
- How to do the course assignment?
- How to complete projects?
- How to obtain the certification?
- How to contact your help center if they need it?
To make sure you don’t overwhelm your users, make sure to display the tips gradually.
4. Integrated Customer Support
Help centers add value to the user experience. You cannot answer everything in the FAQs or guide. Therefore, it is essential to have integrated customer support for users to reach you. You can either get a chatbot from a famous brand or develop your brand’s AI-based chatbot.
5. Calendar with Upcoming Classes
Well, neither instructors nor students can keep track of their classes. As a relief for them, give them the feature to make sure they have schedules handy for the classes. You can have Google Calendar integrated to allow users to add classes from the eLearning website not to miss it.
The best part of the digital arena is that you will be notified of everything that happens online and if you have subscribed for it. Make sure you have the feature that notifies users if any event of their interest happens. This includes notifications about:
- Pending assignments and submissions
- Courses they might be interested in
- New courses
- Request to seek review and ratings
- Advertisements about attractive deals
- Sharing platform-specific messages
7. Online Classes
Is the class about to begin and the student hasn’t joined yet? Or, the student is caught up and wants to take a class with videos? This feature will have. Allow students to receive messages, home assignments, and class reminders. Simultaneously, let them save the classes’ video or access the classes later as videos. You can even allow students to:
- Play and pause video
- Control playback speed
- Add bookmarks
- Turn on subtitles
- Change resolution
You can also allow students to download course material online to access it anytime they want to.
8. Organize Study Material Keeping their Convenience in Mind
Study material can be in multiple formats such as articles, slides, books, videos, and reports. This would need an excellent tool to organize their study material to find them handy as and when needed. Allow users to:
- Download text and presentations
- Highlight material in text files and presentations
- Change font size
- Zoom study material
9. Tracking Learner Progress
The is one of the essential features of an eLearning platform. There is no point in learning if they cannot know where they stand after taking specific chapters. Help learners to track their progress over time with personalized dashboards, including progress bars for every course they are enrolled in. Help them access summaries of content and assignment on a weekly and monthly basis.
10. Providing Course Certificates
Certifications symbolize the course completion and ensure students have a valid proof of their knowledge. You would want students to take courses and provide them certificates on various criteria. This certificate would include:
- Course name
- Instructor signature
- Logo of institution
- Link to certificate authenticity page
How to Create an eLearning Website?
Step 1: Conduct a Thorough Market Research
Unless you understand the market, you won’t create and launch an eLearning platform that attracts your target audience and ensures their loyalty. Dig deep into your target market, and find answers to:
- Who is your target audience?
- What are their pain points, and how will your eLearning website solve them?
- How can you add value to the eLearning industry to ensure you make a mark?
Once you are sure of where you are headed, discover answers to:
- Who are your competitors?
- What USP do they offer?
- What are their pluses and minuses?
- How can you leverage their specific shortfalls to your advantage?
Step 2: Hire Web Development Company
After you have understood your market and finalized the features, the next step is to hire a web development company. Choose a famous web development company that can offer you:
- wider scope of services
- experienced and certified professionals
- good processes and policies
- a trackable process in the background
- Experience in industry
Step 3: Finalize the Team Structure
Once you have shortlisted the web development company, take the time to finalize the team structure. Ideally, your team should include the following members:
- Business analyst who can guide you through the process
- Web developers and project manager
- QA engineers
- UI/ UX experts
Step 4: Decide on the Platform and Finalize the Tech Stack
Technology stack plays a major role in launching quality eLearning websites. Some of the common technologies you can use include:
- Frontend: React, React Native
- Backend: Laravel or another platform you prefer
- Database: MySQL, MongoDB
- Cloud: AWS
Step 5: Agree on Cost to Develop eLearning Website
Finally, research the market and estimate the cost to develop an eLearning website. It depends on multiple factors such as:
- Type of the eLearning website
- Platform for web development
- Feature to include in eLearning website
- Size of the team and their experience
- Future upgrades required
Make sure you share your requirements in detail with the web development company to get an accurate estimation.
Are you ready to develop an eLearning website?
Matellio can help!
With over 500+ successful projects running in the market, our expert team of 200+ engineers has helped businesses across diverse industries to boost their digital transformation efforts. We are chosen time and again by our clients with quick turnaround, quality-centric methodology, and cost-effective engagement models. To get into the details, book a free 30-minute consultation with our team.
Get the Conversation Started!
Get the Conversation Started!
- Android App Development (268)
- Artificial Intelligence (243)
- Blockchain (59)
- Cloud Computing (3)
- Cloud Services (19)
- Company Updates (8)
- Custom Healthcare Solutions (54)
- Digital Marketing (3)
- E-commerce Development (38)
- Enterprise Development (57)
- Enterprise Solutions (164)
- GIS Development (4)
- Guest Post (3)
- Internet of Things (111)
- iOS App Development (240)
- Mobile App Development (648)
- News (71)
- On-demand App Development (212)
- SaaS Development (5)
- Salesforce Development (15)
- Search Engine Optimization (24)
- Software Development (435)
- Staff Augmentation (24)
- Technology (341)
- UI/UX Design (24)
- Wearable App Development (3)
- Web App Development (103)
- WordPress Development (8)